PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class date at EK
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2008, 19:07
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
So, drnetsurfer and Panther 88, what you are basically saying is that when pilots from a different environment come to the US, they should be open minded and ready to learn that things are done differently in different parts of the world- Sounds like exactly what you and your compatriots are being told by people operating here.

No one is saying US pilots can't fly. US CRJ pilots can fly CRJs in the US better than anyone. What's being said is that some US pilots come here believing that their previous experience means they have little to learn from those already here (and they are by no means exclusive- I can cite my own Aussie compatriots as a group that needs a rapid re-education on arriving here with no experience outside Australia. I was fortunate to have operated in different environments before coming here- it would have been MUCH tougher coming straight from Aus.)

Coming off a small aircraft to a very big one, from the US to the Middle east and from FAA regs to our hybrid JAR/GCAA laws is a challenge to say the least (I recently had to explain to a US student what an FIR boundary was- as a CRJ Captain he'd never consciously crossed one!!). It takes an attitude of being open to new ways and a willingness to listen and learn- present in most, absent from some. We will need to display the same attitudes to adjust to the different environment when we operate to LAX and SFO, just as we have had to learn to deal with JFK and IAH.

And yes, learning the different terms used in a different company and a different country are a part of living outside you own back yard- When we lived in the UK my wife quickly learned not to refer to her sandals as "thongs",and I know not to walk into a US stationary shop and ask for a rubber- I ask for an eraser!!!

I have said it once and I will say it again....none of these guys went into the left of a 777
Well, actually.....