PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N-Reg, PPL, IR and UK - advice needed
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2008, 17:39
echobeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N-Reg, PPL, IR and UK - advice needed

I have always had such helpful advice from PPRuNe that I wonder if Isomeone can help with this.

I have looked into the archives, researched and thought hard about this but I am really not sure still of the exact position and wish to know before making decision.

I now have a PPL, with SEP, MEP and IMC ratings. I wish to do the JAA IR next, and the plan is then to fly well equipped twin. This is mainly to keep Mrs Echobeach interested in the hobby, on the promise of some practical use from all this effort.

An offer is available for a twin but the craft is N-reg and now I am not clear how I stand with next steps.

I understand that I can apply for an FAA PPL on the basis of JAA-PPL. Exactly how I do this I am not clear, though I have a link from a previous thread. I believe this can all be done in the UK ?

If however I now do the JAA-IR can I fly the N-Reg IFR in Europe or should I do the FAA-IR. I would rather do the IR here as it although I know ground school and hours more challenging, I would prefer to do this.

I don’t want to find that I can t use the IR capability of the craft though without the US ratings. I realize that EASA may mean the certainty of the N-Reg in Europe is not clear.

I am sure someone here knows the answer.