PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Naughty kids, bad parenting, exhausted cabin crew
Old 25th Sep 2008, 10:44
Little_Red_Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I regularly babysat children during my highschool and later years.I don't have any myself but I dont think that's an indicator. I've had the sleepless night, I've changed the stinky nappies, I've dealt with sick kids/temper tantrums/hissy fits... you name it. Yes, on a plane as well!!! No, I don't have kids myself- but you know why? I know it's difficult to deal with them, I travel to work, therefore, I chose not to have them! I shouldn't have to deal with everyone else's kids who don't want to deal with them, and neither should any crew. Some parents sem to expect us to be a babysitting service. THATS what we are complaining about.

I would never dream of changing a baby on a restaurant seat, or any other public place. Why should a plane be any different? I didn't say all parents are stupid, or that all situations are the same. It's nice when parents are trying. I understand, kids scream, cry, have tantrums. So we cut parents slack when they're trying. If mum and dad havent flown before we explain where to change baby, why little ones cannot sleep on the floor/play in the galley/endlessly press the call button. Its the ones who dont listen and/or dont care that we are complaining about. It seems manners and 'parental responsibility' have gone out of the window!

But a lot of the behaviour I see by kids on board is a direct result of parents either being oblivious ("it's the cabin crew's problem") or not giving a toss (My kids are darlings"/ "its not annoying me so why should i care"/ "i dont want to deal with it") so then they ignore it or hype the kids up on sweets, bribe them, or have a go at other pax or the crew when asked to 'deal with' their children's behaviour.

The attitude (a lot these days) seems to be its not the parents' problem Well sorry, newsflash, it IS. They are YOUR kids, not mine. I have a job to do (and it's not babysitting your kids, it's looking after all 300+ passengers on this plane thank you!) Sure, I will hold baby while you go to the bathroom, sure I will get your kid a colouring in kit, Sure, we have a kids' meal for your child. No, I will not sit in your seat while you go off in search of 5 drinks and a seat elsewhere. No, I cannot watch them so you can 'have a sleep'. I have a job to do, and so do you. Be a parent!!!

We're not talking the odd 'kid stuff' here... we KNOW often its not the kids' fault, its mum and dad's parenting skills (or lack of) Its the fact that some parents dont want to have anything to do with their kids on a flight, and let them run rampant. Often with the result of said kids getting stepped on/burnt/yelled at by some other pax.

I know when I was a kid, as another poster said, my mum/dad would give me the Look, and I would shut the hell up and do what i was told. No taking my seatbelt off, no kicking the seat in front, no throwing things. If I did, it was a smack on the arse for me and end of argument. Always worked, rarely needed. You hardly ever see that these days, any surprise we want to do it sometimes????