PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilots who came from nothing.
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2008, 23:35
SPEED-DEMON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent thread to set up there and its reassuring to see that you can get into aviation in many different ways.
I took my introductory flight on Monday in a Cessna 152. I had done countless hours on the FS and had always had a keen interest in aviation and still do. My biggest concern was if I was going to be scared by flying such a small airplane. My instructor told me that the last thing HE was going to do was risk his life in a plane that might be unsafe. So I hopped in and he started the engine.
I had told him I flew the 172 on FS and had a good idea what to do. He replied to me as he pushed in the throttle to commence the take off roll "OK, look to rotate at 75kts!" . I froze and smiled at him and said, fine! My first time in a plane I flew the take off. He put me through to hairy experiences to see if I had the "bottle" to be a pilot. Like a full rudder turn inducing a dive for example !! I remained calm though.
Anyways here's the best bit. On the return leg to the airport we came down to 1400ft on base. I asked him was there much difference between landing in real life and landing in the sim's. He replied "you're going to find out for your self in a minute." . I thought this has to be a joke, I asked him was he suggesting I land the plane, my first flight. He said "well I'm not landing it, but I will keep a careful eye on you". So i applied the flaps to 20 turned final, slightly to the right, but jiggled with her to get her lined up. Slight cross wind so the nose was a tad off. He said he'd manage the throttle in case of a go around and take controls as soon as the nose wheel touched to keep it in the runway due to the angled entry on account of the cross wind. I just remember flairing and feeling a bit of left rudder to straighten it out and then a gentle bump, bump and we were down. I was so delighted with myself.

After this flight I can safely say I WILL get into aviation. If its as an instructor for PPL or as an airline pilot, it is for me. I do not have a rich family, grew up without a Father, done OK at school, and will have to do this alone, but I am starting to take more lessons to even get a PPL for the love of flying. After that if I manage to obtain a license to allow me to earn some cash from flying then great. But there is ways of doing it with no financial help and I will find one!

Sorry for the long post folks. But anything is possible in this world. ANYTHING