PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Plans (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2008, 18:36
hangten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would it be such a bad thing for traffic to move across the channel? Let Schiphol and Frankfurt deal with the noise and pollution;
And the millions of people associated with it. And the billions of pounds they bring through the UK every year. Sigh.

I have a hunch that Ruth Kellys resignation today as transport minister is in some way conected??
I had not made that connection until I read that. Potentially an excellent point, but I doubt we'll ever know...

How about; sell Gatwick, invest the proceeds into 3rd runway, oppose planning for 2nd runway at Gatwick and so outcompete the competition the politicians seem so keen on?
Although, it's my understanding that the contractual agreement that West Sussex/Mid Sussex District Councils hold with Gatwick regarding no development of a second runway there is with BAA - and would therefore be null and void in the event of a sale, removing a very large blocker to Gatwick's expansion. I'm ready to be shown to be incorrect though as I have no definitive proof that this is so.