PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying at Night
Thread: Flying at Night
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2008, 14:23
Pullharder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love this one....every year I still can't believe we fly to rigs at night!!!
I am curious that if they found oil/gas today and not 30+ years ago, would the CAA authorize night offshore flying nowdays with everything we know/risk assessment etc??
Flying a S76 with it's limited visibility makes landing on rigs difficult, add in the fact that the southern North sea NUI's are very small,limited lighting, very low to the ocean, no wind, S76 power margin and hover OGE capability when heavy: NIL.... then throw in poor vis at night and hey presto (what the hell are we doing here)!!! Chances for pilot error with all the above factors thrown in, well, you know the answer to that....and the outcome...Are the CAA asleep when it comes to regulating the N.Sea???? How many Morecombe Bays do they need(I know the OFFICIAL report isn't out yet but I think we all know what happened, may those people rest in peace).
As some above said, why can't we fly during daylight and the workers just have to have slightly shorter days?? Why can't we as pilots organize against this? We know whats best when it comes to flying and how difficult it can be.
Fly safe everyone.
PH.