PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I get a JAA or FAA flight instructor rating?
Old 24th Sep 2008, 14:15
Capt. Spock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I get a JAA or FAA flight instructor rating?

Hello,

I'm an European with finished ATPL theory and looking for the next step to take towards gaining an instructor's rating.

Would you have any pointers which one to do?

My conclusion at the moment is that:

FAA seems a lot more affordable and I already know an excellent instructor in the US that could instruct me for the rating. After gaining the rating I couldn't work in the US as I don't have a legal status to do so. However it seems from Africa, Middle east or Asia I might be able to find some kind of flight instruction work with the FAA rating.

JAA rating is more expensive, especially with a good FTO. I would likely have to relocate for some other country for work as with the FAA rating and "my feeling" is that there is less work around in Europe. I would prefer to instruct in Europe but I'm not sure if it is worth it.

I'm not necessarily looking to became a career instructor but neither doing it just to build hours. I have admired my flight instructors and known it's something I would like to do one day myself. And a rating I hope to keep valid for the rest of my life. That stupid thing being said without ever having given an hour of flight instructon...

Thanks for any clues!