PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA - Cabin Crew Manager Tribunal
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2008, 07:59
99jolegg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA - Cabin Crew Manager Tribunal

Being reported in a few papers this morning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ama-queen.html

Originally Posted by Daily Telegraph
David Andersson-Wood, 45, allegedly had to endure years of harassment including taunts about his sexuality while working for the global airline.
He claims he was overlooked for promotion and received desultory pay rises with minimal bonuses despite performing well in his £47,000 a year ground-based job.

Mr Andersson-Wood, who lives in a civil partnership, had the role of improving the customer service provided by BA's airborne staff.
But he told the tribunal in Reading that his own circumstances deteriorated in 2000 when Ann Brown took over as the new Fleet Manager.

He explained that he contacted her to discuss harassment he was receiving after investigating a notorious rape case between two BA cabin crew in Washington DC in 1999.

Mr Andersson-Wood said in a statement: "Ann Brown responded with offensive comments about my sexuality, stating that I should stop being a 'drama queen'.

"I asked her what she meant by this and she said 'You know what I mean, your lot over-dramatise everything'.

"She went on to mention that she had the ability to influence my pay, performance ranking and career prospects. I found these comments particularly disturbing."

He claimed that at a later meeting he told Ms Brown, who no longer works for BA, that he found her comments offensive.

She allegedly replied that she found his sexual practices distasteful and a relationship with a homosexual colleague was also branded "unhealthy".
Mr Andersson-Wood, from Richmond, Surrey, also claims he was treated harshly after taking time off work with stress.

He said: "Having received no contact with Ann Brown during my absence, I telephoned her to discuss my return to work.

"She shouted 'Don't you dare come back to work until you are A1 fit. I haven't time to support you, and the rest of the team are too busy'. The tone of this comment was particularly aggressive."

During a 19 year career with BA, Mr Andersson-Wood filed two grievance complaints in a bid to improve pay rises and bonuses which he discovered were lower than those of immediate colleagues.

A human resources manager allegedly responded by saying: "If you want to achieve a market level of pay, go and work for a pharmaceutical company."

BA is contesting the claim for unfair constructive dismissal, discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation, sexual discrimination and equal pay discrimination.

The hearing continues.