PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2008, 07:54
one post only!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kilo, what you say is correct about using rudder. Using aileron will further aggravate the stall on the wing and therefore wing drop. As bis says I think this is done in light aircraft for training, getting you well into the stall rather than recovering at the first sign.
In a modern jet we just un-stall the aircraft as discussed previously on here. Put the nose down etc.

With a large fin on the tail I don't think applying boot full’s of rudder at this point is a recognised technique! One aircraft accident was caused when the handling pilot used rudder to pick up a wing that had dropped due to wake turbulence. Oscillation occurred and the rudder came off! On a jet we have a lot of power avail and if you do stall it (you should be warned well before) you should be able to recover quickly....

In this case, if the aircraft only ever got to 40ft they must have only been a few seconds into the air. If the wing stalled and fell rapidly to strike the ground at the tip I wonder if they really had any time to think about using rudder, aileron or will power to get the wing back up! As Bis said they won't have had the time to recognise the situation as a stall.
Instinct will have probably kicked in and they will have probably used aileron to attempt to stop the roll. As we do on many TO's out of a blustery MAD!!