PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating - which type, where, why pay etc?
Old 2nd Dec 1999, 19:13
Raw Data

Type Rating - which type, where, why pay etc?

This is from a reply I posted in R&N, but it is more relevant here. Hope it helps.

-------------------------------------------
For anyone who is interested, in my time as a trainer, I have found the following to be generally true.

Some people will fail the sim check. This is usually down to lack of currency in general flying practice, or lack of I/F proficiency. It can usually be remedied by spending some time in a jet-type sim doing some hard IFR. If you are going for a turboprop sim check, the jet sim is a good idea because most sim checks seem to be done on jet sims. BTW, you CANNOT overprepare for a sim check when it comes to knowing ATC procedure, Rules of the Air, etc. Simple little things like the appropriate cruising level for a particular altitude mess a lot of folk up.

Some fail the ARB. This is nearly unheard of, especially if CBT is being used. Still, if you know you are prone to exam problems, try and get the books early and in particular learn ALL the limitations off by heart, ESPECIALLY engine limitations.

Some fail the type training in the sim. This is usually a judgement call on the part of the training dept. Anyone can be taught to do anything, given enough time and money. However, training departments have very finite training budgets, so if they think you will not meet the required standard in the allowable time frame, you will probably be chopped. Occasionally people will be allowed a few extra hours in the sim if it is thought that they are "nearly there". This of course depends on sim bookings, and may not be possible on a heavily-used sim. Some training depts may allow you to continue if you pay for the additional training, but it's rare. The only course of action available to you is to stay focused and calm. Try not to let the pressures of the situation get to you... I realise that is nearly impossible to do, but try anyway. I have seen several colleagues fail sim courses over the years, usually because once they realised that things were not going well, they let the pressures of worrying about their continued career and employment get to them, and their performance deteriorated as a result. In a sense, the failed themselves. I say that with no pride at all, it is a horrible thing to experience, or to watch from the other seat. To reiterate... try and stay focused and calm, keep studying, practice IF on your computer or whatever, don't spend time in the bar. It's only for a few days!

Once you are into line training, the worst is most definitely behind you. As I mentioned earlier, what we look for in line training is your ability to fly safely and accurately in a normal IFR environment. You will normally have an autopilot to help you and no deliberate failures. The abilities you need are good situational awareness, good CRM, and good decision-making. As line training is revenue flying, it is the phase of training where the most time can be allowed to reach the required standard. People who get chopped here are normally either up against a hostile trainer (not that common these days), or are having major problems with the areas mentioned above. Typical symptoms include inability to plan descents properly, poor execution of SIDs or STARs, poor fuel planning, consistently bad landings, poor situational awareness, poor procedural knowledge, poor aircraft knowledge. In any event, this is the phase where the most leeway is usually allowed... I only ever failed people who were a very, very long way from reaching the standard, and who were showing no signs of improvement. The remedy is to keep studying, run the flights through in your mind and identify all the areas causing you trouble, and tell your trainer exactly what you are having trouble with. Concentrate on getting those bits right. Make it abundantly clear that you are working hard and are going for it.

If you are having trouble, TELL YOUR TRAINER. Help them to help you.

Maxfli is absolutely right... a failure is a reflection on the training dept as well as the candidate. It is also a failure on the part of the selection board. Some training depts are enlightened and see it that way, some don't. And finally, it is very, very expensive for a company to fail someone in line training.

I hope that helps some of you who are soon to start courses.