PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who is Mike Taylor? He should be famous.
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2008, 00:49
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
ACMS, you state:

Just like John F'ing Travolta you DIDN'T earn the right to wear that uniform. Amazing what money can buy isn't it mate.
I think you are implying that I somehow bought influence with Qantas. So everyone can know the facts (and they are very simple), here they are.

I was in my 30s when I planned to fly around the world solo by helicopter. Just as any young adventurer does, I wrote to various companies to see if I could get sponsorship. Companies such as Mobil (who had originally sponsored Bert Hinkler and Charles Kingsford Smith) came in with sponsorship for fuel, and Qantas came in with sponsorship for some airfares. This was in return for giving the organisations publicity.

That is exactly what happened. So rather than my money being able to buy something, it was actually the reverse – simple commercial sponsorship by companies hoping to get a return for the resources they put in.

ACMS, it is such a pity that you seem to have such a chip on your shoulder. I believe it is still important that you are accurate and stick to the facts.