PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Plans (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2008, 14:16
nebpor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tristar,
"Cost, choice and frequency of flights is what its all about. Iam sure BA, bmi, flybe etc etc would welcome with open arms 1 single airport. All the airlines could streamline their operations and offer better and more efficient services.
FACT, Simple economies of scale...

Suggest you buy shares in the construction industry if thats the only way you think you might make a fast buck... Will need major infrastructure improvements all round so get in there quick!"
I'm sure there will be many cost efficiencies for the airlines, leading to a £2 reduction per passenger fair, but I think the extra effort involved for a large percentage of the population in getting to your new wonder airport would far outweigh any air ticket savings.

Do you think petrol is free? Rail travel?

Where do the funds to widen the M80/90 etc all come from if not the public purse?

It's people like me who are at folk like you it seems - drop your silly attitude on here.

For the record I take about 50 flights per year and so do the other 100 people I work with, all based across Central Scotland and all happy we've got a good choice of airport right now. I'll take that above more direct flights to Europe that a single airport might support anyday.

I'll also point out one of my good friends was an architect student, who in his final year conducted a wholesale study into something very similar to what you are talking about - as I helped review his work for him I saw the passenger figures, volumes, transport information and everything else - I'm not just writing this because I'm throwing stones at your argument, I'm writing it as I'm a professional consultant who makes decisions and recommendations on the available facts .... and the facts seem to indicate that a central airport isn't benefitting anybody here except maybe business - and I care more about the public, being a member of it.