PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preparing for the unexpected...
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2008, 11:52
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Hi Barrow,

Thank you for your concern. I feel very confident in my ability to land at night with a completely dark panel, and have done it for practice many times. That said, such practice was usually at one of several airports in the Toronto area, where there are ample visual cues from the local lit horizon, as to what your relationship to earth is, at any given moment.

My home runway, on the other hand, is 2000' by 60', with trees on three sides, and very few illuminated references for miles around. Black hole syndrome, particularly if a go around is required because of the added chance of a screwed up approach, and the fact that whatever flap got extended can no longer be retracted.

Risk management seemed to make whatever I had aboard which would reduce risk, worth employing! Years ago (about 30) my night rating required repeated night circuits with no inside cockpit information, which became rather fun. I practice a little from time to time, but not when I'm tired, and into my own black hole. The headlamps are a good idea, I was leant one once during a police boating coarse I took, and it did work! I'll go shopping...

Pilot DAR