PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 23rd Sep 2008, 09:36
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a quick word to counter those of Dick.

BA is a big company employing over 3000 pilots from various backgrounds. Unfortunately within that framework you will always find a few bitter individuals or those with chips on their shoulders. Occasionally I have met balanced individuals with chips on both shoulders.

As an ex-military pilot I have no hankering after a 'coveted' wide body command, I am quite content biding my time on SH. Nobody owes me an early command. I may well bid for it but, as with ALL pilots, the seniority system ensures that everyone starts at the bottom. All of my mates who joined BA before or after me are WELL AWARE THAT THE SYSTEM EXISTS LIKE IT DOES. There are some who complain about it but that also goes for former cadets who have known nothing about flying outside of 'mother' BA. In all honesty some of the worst were the ex Hamble 'sky gods' who had flown nothing but airliners constantly bitching about the 'upstart' ex military pilots. I will have the same shot at command as the guy, 21 years old out of Oxford, who joined with me. That is not a problem and good luck to them.

To pull this back to thread and context, BA is a complicated company, it supports you well generally and lets you get on with your job with the minimum of fuss. It is NOT the BA of yester year, the workload is slowly getting greater but show me an airline where it's going down? There is no shortcut to command, unless you tread the dark side, but generally the people you will work with are excellent and the old addage of 'no Co-Pilots just Captains in training' really does seem to exist.

As long as you can accept this, warts and all, then it is a great company, just watch out for the moaners, many of which are only jealous of the fact that some people have flown slightly more exciting aircraft than they have and occasionally deviated from the green or magenta line

Good luck!

W2P