PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 - Outboard engine failure- why no bank?
Old 23rd Sep 2008, 05:58
john_tullamarine

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
(a) rudder is sized to suit the aircraft. Doesn't matter whether you have two engines or four, the OEM is only going to give you enough rudder to meet the design standards and certification process requirements.

(b) bank has two important considerations. (There is no particular problem flying constant heading with varying bank angles provided that rudder capability is adequate and the resulting sideslip angle doesn't cause you problems).

(i) Vmca is VERY bank sensitive which is why one generally can presume that the quoted certification figure relates to 5 deg bank into the operating engines. This certification bank limit covers considerations of keeping a level playing field and avoiding side slip related handling problems. Any bank delta back towards wings level and beyond pushes the Vmca up - rapidly - if I recall correctly from a course in years past, a well-known many-engined strategic bomber saw something in the vicinity of a 30-40 kt increase in Vmca in this adverse bank configuration. It is important to note that Vmca considerations do not include climb capability.

(ii) best climb (or least descent, as the case may be) will occur for a bank angle of around 2-3 deg into the operating engines where the side slip angle is zero. I am reliably advised by those who have vastly more experience in such matters than I .. that this is a pretty general across the board bank angle regardless of Type. It is not overly simple to fly this sort of bank angle using a typical A/H and, when one considers the penalty on aircraft for which wheel angle is linked to spoiler deflection, the small climb penalty with wings and wheel level is a better option than trying to get the last bit of performance and making a hash of it. With a slip string stuck on the nose (or a side slip gauge for those who flew Concorde) it is, at least conceptually, a much easier exercise. I note Bellerophon's comment in the hyperlinked post about endeavouring to fly OEI zero slip in Concorde.

(c) handling, especially during the dynamic initial failure, is very speed sensitive. In the cruise - no sweat - during the takeoff flare for a min V1 schedule takeoff - wholely an animal of a different kind. In the latter situation, be prepared for rapid and substantial control inputs (rudder and aileron) to keep the aircraft under control while you are sorting things out. It was just for this exposure that I used to work folk up to this exercise in 737 endorsement training play time. While the wide eyes were typical in the first couple of tries, the smiles of satisfaction were real once the trainee had the beast under control after several goes at the exercise. As an aside, it really caused/causes me some concern that the majority of airline aircrew have never had any exposure to min speed climb out failures and the rapidly escalating stick and rudder problems which attend keeping the dynamics under control ....