PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Painless Checkout
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2008, 19:49
Big Pistons Forever

Received 145 Likes on 68 Posts
The Painless Checkout

There has been much recent discussion which either directly or indirectly has to do with issues around the club checkout. At the (very great) risk of continuing this I thought I would throw in a few ideas, from an instructor point of view, on how to make this process easier for all concerned.

These points are primarily intended for a relatively low time PPL checkout at a new club in a new airport and/or new type.

1) Do your homework. Before you show up for your lesson get and study the map, aerodrome layout and procedures, the aircraft POH, the checklist used by the operator and the club/business policies and procedures. Write down questions on anything in the above you do not fully understand or want more information on.

2) When you show up make a point of introducing yourself to all the staff and especially whoever is dispatching. If possible speak to the Chief Flying Instructor as well.

3) Start the lesson by requesting a though briefing on the route of flight and what manoevers will be conducted. Go over your question list with your instructor. Part of this briefing must cover in a clear and unambigous, way how an actual inflight emergency will be dealt with.

4) When you get to the plane take your time. You are going to be a little bit nervous so give yourself a bit of extra time to do things right the first time.

5) The flight will probably not be operated the exact way you are used to so go with the flow, there is no one universal way to safely pilot an aircraft. If operational procedures confuse or concern you make a quick note and bring them up on the debrief.

6) If the instructor does anything that you truely think is dangerous demand the flight return to the airport ASAP and land immediately. See the CFI at once.

7) Insist on a debrief at the end of the flight as you will almost certainly have some questions. You may wish to ask the instuctor if their is any area of your flying that could use some improvement as you are in effect getting a second opinion on how you are doing.

This post represents a sample size of one. It is not intended to be comprehensive or authoritive and if it is of some value to anyone than it was worth the five minutes it took to write. If not at least I was able to procrastinate for 5 more minutes on the project I amworking on