PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Home of Photos in Dunnunda! Mk I
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2008, 17:02
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ultralights must be prescient posting a picture of a Pa28-140 - Today I flew one for the first time in about 26 years...was it scary? Yup. Straight out of the Boeing DXB-LHR and 4 hours later clambering into my mates latest aeroplane. He recently sold his C180 and bought a share in this Pa28.

Time didn't allow for a 'spitfire' run along the White Cliffs at Dover so we headed west to Compton Abbas, an 800m strip atop a ridge at about 800' elevation. Interestingly in the valley right next to the strip is one of the homes of 'The Material Girl' who never stops complaining about aircraft noise. Col refused to point out the house

This is looking along 08..and yes it is up hill - but into wind today. The angle doesn't show it well but with two up I had to make a slight left turn airborne and fly between two trees. The Pa28-140 aint what you'd call a startling performer

To show a little of what GA us like in the UK the little club has a licensed restaurant and none of the people there today were pilots...merely people out and about and stopping in for good freshly cooked food. Roast dinner with all the trimmings, wine, beer etc.

And you can fly in direct from/to the continent.

And they have RFF.

The bird on the phone also works the unicom and gives runway in use and QFE...circuits are flown at 800' QFE in the UK but enroute you fly QNH (the difference between the two today was 30mb). She also takings the bookings for scenic flights/flying lessons etc.

This was parked at White Waltham where the PA28 lives...just for us Bonanza nuts Note the security fencing, or lack thereof, in the background - and this in a country that actually has been attacked by terrorists numerous times.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 22nd Sep 2008 at 18:54.