PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Crash In Bettystown Ireland
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2008, 08:54
Phil77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In regards to the firewall issue I recalled a statement Nick Lappos made a while back and found it (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/197...l#post956984):

Even in the real thing, you have some time if your boss bought you a good helicopter. In a Part 29 transport twin, the fire zone must hold full integrity for 15 minutes in a rageing fire at 2000 degrees F. There are not 15 minutes of fuel in the fire zone. If you get the fuel firewall valve closed, the fire will burn itself out in most cases, even if the extinguisher fails (and the extinguisher has dual independant systems, with dual bottles, dual squibs on the bottles, dual plumbing and even dual double throw switches in the cockpit.)
I googled and found references that the S-76 is indeed certified under FAR Part 29 Transport Rotorcraft.
...and who would doubt the guy who took part in developing the aircraft?

But I can see that your decision making is somewhat clouded if your head is on fire, you have the hands full flying and no co-pilot to pull the fire bottle(s)! Also I wouldn't want to try out if it does hold 15 minutes!

Last edited by Phil77; 22nd Sep 2008 at 08:55. Reason: add link