PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Without Wings - the new generation?
Old 22nd Sep 2008, 02:13
Vref+5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From personal experience;

1. The RAAF recruiting process using the psych testing etc to select people from the top 5% of population. Historically they are the only group who can get through the training.

2. The RAAF then spends best part of 2 million per pilot over about 250 hours.

3. Each flight is scrutinised and assessed.

4. The RAAF teaching methodology is much different. Demonstrate, Direct Monitor. You get shown something once, then you perform it under supervision, and then you are assessed.

5. There is a lot of preparation for each flight. You must know all of the numbers - power settings, attitudes etc before you get anywhere near the aircraft for the flight. Ask any knuck how much work they do before a flight, it is staggering.

6. About 50% of those who were selected get through. Because they are paying they will boot you out if you aren't up to scratch. They don't have to worry about making a living and keeping paying customers coming in the door or meeting graduation rates for an airline customer.

7. Some of the recently graduated RAAF pilots immediatley become co-pilots flying the Governor General and PM around in the BBJ, so they do move into similiar aircraft types.

Having now moved on to greener pastures and undertaken training in the civilian world I can assure you it is much much different. The RAAF way works and works well because of who they select and the training methods they use. The training methods don't suit everyone, some find them confronting.

Can it work for the MPL students? If you take the correct people and having the correct teaching methods - yes. Are there enough of the correct people available? I don't believe so. Medicine Law and other high paying professions want them as well. The RAAF gets some of them even without the high pay because you get the opportunity to do some really adventurous things and people accept the lower pay.

Will they use the intense military style teaching methods? I don't think so. Will they spend 2 million on each student - no.

In summary I don't think it will work in the civilian system, not having a go at the civvie world (I'm happy here) but it is a different world because they have the cash and are so selective.