PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take off and landing at same end of runway (GRX, SXM - where else?)
Old 21st Sep 2008, 18:43
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take off and landing at same end of runway (GRX, SXM - where else?)

Noticed at GRX this week that a/c land from, and take off towards the west (runway heading 09/27). When I arrived, I thought this might just be a change of wind direction, but noticed same thing happening on way out.

Granted, there are hills behind Granada itself, but that terrain is some 15k+ away, can think of plenty of airport with much closer obstacles. I know it can get hot there, but should an elevation of 660m, with 2900m runway cause any problems for a typical 738 / 320?

The only other place I've seen this is at SXM (also 09/27), but iirc, it was just the American carriers (CO, AA) who came out over Maho - the others took off towards the east. On this occassion, I was observing from the well known beach, so could see there wasn't much wind about. Is there a minimum wind speed, below which direction doesn't matter?

Last edited by jabird; 21st Sep 2008 at 18:44. Reason: typo and mixing up east / west