PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lord Haw Haw & the Officers Mess Clock Myth
Old 21st Sep 2008, 17:42
BSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I once flew a veteran of the 398th bomb wing around his old base in a 172, during a reunion visit.

He told a story about the day they arrived at their operational base (Nuthampstead), they were ushered into their billet to gather around the heating stove, and listen to Lord Haw Haw's evening broadcast from Germany.

He welcomed newcomers to the ETO, urged them not to get too comfortable, as they wouldn't last long, suggested they ask who had slept in their bunk last, and to ask where he was now, and then read out over the radio the tail number of the new aeroplanes arriving "in theatre" that day.

He included the tail number of their B-17, and the name on the nose. As well as mentioning it's arrival at Nuthampstead with the 398th.

He said it spooked the bejeebers out of them, and their new squadron mates who had just welcomed them into the base, enjoyed their discomfort.

A few weeks later, he said they were doing it themselves to newly incoming crews.

As far as he knew, the information came from spies operating locally.

Didn't someone recently write a book about Joyce? Anyone know of it or able to recommend it?

BSD.

p.s I must be a 20%er - my LEFT knee is scarred!