PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 30 More UK Helicopters to Afghanistan???
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2008, 14:35
Gnd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A new direction and thought maybe????

I think that the aspiration was to spread the load. Get help from others but another option would be to use the other ‘allies’ airframes. This will be an easy option with only a little conversion bill?
Another option is to look at the wealth of ‘other types’ we have learnt – or some of us have- and get some of those. I am aware that there is a mod state but that is a bridge we have to overcome when it arises.
The point that really worries me is the manpower – 2 wars doesn’t sound a lot but it seems we are constantly on the bus. I am confused as to where we all are; are there so few of us about not to mention the ground and tech elements. Could we do the job more efficiently????
Maybe the answer is for there to be a combined air force (in the widest sense). JHC and 22 Gp could ‘pool’ the assets and use one det to do the entire load. Different bodies for different tasks but under one LOCAL command and maybe dual/tri rated to fly the type needed at the time? Is this not the aspiration of purple.
I don’t have the answer but am surprised every time we are fighting each other for one task, it usually comes down to 1st to the tasker gets it – a little bizarre in my humble opinion. Even ‘mort’ the sacred cow and have multinational dets, who knows.