PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training, hours building and first job prospects in America
Old 21st Sep 2008, 06:38
hammerhead70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heliman500:

and the article continues:

2003, however, was a watershed year. The US-based Helicopter Safety Advisory Conference (HSAC) Helicopter Operations and Safety Review 2003 reported in relation to helicopter operations in the Gulf: ‘This was the worst overall accident record in the 20 years since we began gathering data, with the highest number of fatal events (seven) and total fatalities (12), and second highest number of total accidents (15).'

In the five-year period up to and including 2003, there were a total of 47 helicopter accidents in the Gulf of Mexico of which 14 were fatal, resulting in 19 fatalities and 42 injuries. These accidents can be described as follows:

Pilot procedures:
• nine were the result of loss of control or improper procedure;
• five were the result of controlled flight into terrain or water—three occurred at night;
• five were the result of helideck obstacle strikes;
• five were from tie-down procedures, loose cargo and an onshore obstacle strike; and
• one was the result of fuel starvation.

And...one should be very careful by comparing those statistics...I agree! You can really only compare accidents or fatalities per flown hour and then break it further down into single engine, multi engine etc. North Sea operations are mainly conducted in heavy or medium multi engine aircraft. Their counterparts in the GOM have similar or even better "good" statistics.

I don't think that there is more morons flying around in FAA land than anywhere else and I never said that here. But...according to the statistics there is a trend for those accidents and it is going up. The EMS industry is showing the same trend as well. Read it yourself and maybe do your own research!

Fact Sheet - EMS Helicopter Safety

The FAA and other involved authorities are trying to evaluate and solve that problem because that trend in modern day aviation is unacceptable! I'm sure they are looking at every possible aspect of it. That may be the rule and regulation making process, operational procedures or pilot training and licensing. And that's where my point is! To say, under the evidence of those accident trends, that the JAA licensing compared to the FAA is nonsense and the FAA rule making is "more advanced" or the JAA check rides are a joke, is quite a steep statement, especially when the person who makes that statement openly admits that he doesn't even hold the JAA license. Both systems have their flaws and the Europeans like their bureaucracy there is no doubt and I don't support that because it does cost me too!

I also disagree with the statement that there is no correlation between the ability to pass a series of written examinations (which forces you to know your stuff rather than remember the answers and forget most of the material after two weeks) and the safe operation of an aircraft. There is! Being a good stick jiggler is only one part of the equation and is rather insignificant unless your are working 2 feet beside a live power line or with a 200 foot longline pulling wood every day. One of the other ingredients is knowledge. Knowledge leads to experience which hopefully leads to better decision making and ultimately to more safety and less accidents! I haven't heard of any accidents caused by the pilot being a "rough stick", but how many accidents have you heard of who were related to pilot decision making!?

As for other FAA licensed pilots working overseas...I believe that aviation is a global business. The fact that I can work in many places around the world with people from other countries, be that from wherever they are, is great and I enjoy that a lot! Heck...I left my own county years ago to go after my dream and get my initial training in the US. And even though it has nothing to do with the FAA, I do think that the US Immigration law is quite a bit over protective when it comes to foreigners trying to work as helicopter pilots in the US. It's certainly far from "equal rights" to all of us.

And it just boggles my mind when I hear this:

Quote Rick1128: "Over the years I have gotten a lot of nonsense from JAA pilots about how the JAA system is much better. Of course, none of them had ever held an FAA certificate or supported their current certificate on their own. I have acted as an FO on a sim ride for a JAA required ride. Compared to 135 PIC ride or a FAA type ride, it was a joke.

It is really interesting to watch the attitude of some JAA folks. They raise a ruckus when a American pilot does a short term contract in Europe, usually to protect the JAA pilots' job. Then whine when they are told they are not really wanted over here. Interesting."

Anybody who is looking for some honest advice about getting a license be it FAA, TC or JAA or working overseas feel free to ask in a respectful manner. I've worked in the US, Canada, Asia and Europe.

Cheers and fly safe!

Last edited by hammerhead70; 21st Sep 2008 at 07:00.