PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training, hours building and first job prospects in America
Old 21st Sep 2008, 00:32
heliman500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Offshore accident rate

Hammerhead70, you quoted:

"Look at the recent accident rates in the GOM and compare those to the North Sea"

So i did.....

In the Gulf of Mexico alone there is 58% of the worlds offshore flying, compared to that of the N.Sea where its just 10% (that almost x6 exposure time). Based on this fact alone i think you'll find that its almost obvious to say why there may be more accidents in the Gulf of Mexico. I think its also important to factor in the type of flying that is conducted; the majority of the flying in the GOM is 'field work' where a pilot maybe making 50-60 take-offs & landing a day, compared to that in the N. Sea where it averages about six. As we are all aware; take-off & landings are the most critical portion of any flight and its at this point which most of all accidents occur. With that being said; it is to be expected that more accidents will occur in the GOM at this critical point in flight. You also have to remember that the majority of the flying in the Gulf of Mexico is performed with single engine, which further adds to the risks involved.

I also found this information in the web link you provided:..."the fatal accident rate in the Gulf of Mexico was very close to, and sometimes marginally better than, the experience in the rest of the world"