PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilots who came from nothing.
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2008, 23:15
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was once homeless. More than once, actually. As a kid we were financially unenhanced, and frequently without. During my flying career I hit such a point once as well...and lived in a hangar with the airplanes for nearly a year. When I learned to fly, I didn't have a car, and bicycled the 15 miles each way to the airport. I spent a two week period while flying air ambulance in which the meager salary didn't cover the needs, and had no money or food save for a couple of free items from coupons in the local paper...for a couple of weeks.

I've often had to work two jobs. I've had to move. I've never owned a new car. I still don't own a home.

There was a time when I couldn't conceive in my wildest dreams about flying, let alone flying for a living...but I've been doing it for a lifetime now, and plan to keep right on doing it. At the moment I fly a 747. I'd be just as happy flying anything else, and have been for many years.

Entering into a flying career and making it work will not be easy. The hardest part of learning to fly is paying for it, to be certain...but that's only the beginning. A great deal of commitment, and a willingness to sacrifice will be required on your part. Most certainly you can do it. The only question you must ask is whether you will.