PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAA ATC Positions
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2008, 22:39
Blockla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the information folks.

I've been lurking here for a while; obviously I've tried to be informed about the decision my family and I have made.

We definitely aren't doing this as a money making exercise. We definitely aren't expecting the IAA to be significantly better than ASA, but I hope it is better. From what I have garnered so far, it is better in terms of work life balance; even if some of you consider the rosters to be sh!te; it's what you are used to I guess, ASA is becoming the envy of the world, NOT!.

If you want to go to feed your appetite for adventure, go for it. The grass is always a little greener wherever you go. When I decided to leave the emerald isle, I asked myself one question: In 20 years time will I look back and regret not walking away from the comfort zone and walking into something I knew little about? The answer is I would. So far so good.....but you never know. Take it as it comes. Ireland is a great place....but right now, the desert is better!!! (and hotter!!!!)....
This pretty much sums up why we are going to Ireland. Well except the last sentence. I would have loved to have gone straight to the desert, but with the family in tow it was going to be too big a challenge and too culturally confronting. (even though my first few phone calls to natives have left me thinking what have I done, what did he say?)

Hopefully the Irish adventure will give us as a family the courage to go live in the desert (or elsewhere) for a while when homeward bound, as a money making exercise... but there are many other parts of the world that may open up to us once we've taken the step outside our comfort zone time will tell.

Being further away from family will be a challenge, but life is an adventure, but right now we see most of them twice a year anyway.

PS, I'm coming across on a 3 year contract, being a former VP of our union in OZ, my intention is to join your union ASAP.