PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are We All Providing Same Standard Of ATC Worldwide ???
Old 20th Sep 2008, 15:15
grizzled

Received 79 Likes on 14 Posts
ATC Standards

Though the comments and subterranean political issues are interesting, I would find it interesting if this thread could creep back to discussing the original question – though I do wish I could’ve joined Verc in his short recess from the Sand Box.

So, in terms of providing the same standard worldwide, my comment is, “Not even close.” Of course there are observable differences twixt each controller, and sometimes what appear to be significant differences in standards between otherwise similar ATC units, even in countries or jurisdictions with “mature” aviation systems, philosophies and infrastructure.

Having said that, the pressing issue in terms of worldwide ATC is levels of safety in certain geographic areas. The situation is entirely comparable to that of aircrew and air operator safety levels in those same areas. I.E. In those parts of the world where the resources and the culture (meaning corporate and regulatory cultures) are weak or non-existent, the situation is dire. In fact in those places where the problems associated with luck of funds, corruption, training, equipment, etc exist, they are usually worse in terms of ATC than flight ops. Why? ATC expertise in the regulatory realm is less available; ATC audits and auditors are far fewer; and ATC is most often a lesser priority than air carriers and pilots, regardless of resources.

As someone who has been involved in ATC on four continents I can tell you the levels of ATC provided at each end of the scale are as far apart as Venice Beach and Jeddah.

Grizz