PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2008, 12:08
Rananim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
borgha,
I understand that RAT inop is MEL, but surely making RAT inop to 'isolate' the problem by pulling the CB, as was done in MAD, can t be MEL as it disconnects the TOWS, which is a NOGO item. Failing maintenance SOP or training?
The RAT problem was a symptom of the groundshift failure.It didnt cause it.Nobody knows what caused it.The main contender is the relay mentioned by wings1011.ie the engineer deliberately puts the aircraft into flight mode to check the strobe lights on the ground and then doesnt reset it..cb is missed by pilots during pre-flight.This is apparently what happened at Lanzarote.But surely the daily check would have been done at BCN in the case of the Spanair.Was this relay pulled at BCN and never subsequently reset?This is unlikely for 2 reasons:
a)it implies a TOCW check was never done for that day
b)why didnt the RAT problem show up at BCN(the effect of ambient temp on the probe to reach its overheat tripoff temp???)

The MEL would have directed the crew to use manual thrust for takeoff.If they had used the AT for takeoff,what thrust setting would they get?GA not TO...aircraft is in flt mode.GA thrust vs TO thrust for takeoff..what is the difference between the two for the stated conditions?probably negligible.

This has been mentioned before but...there are still pilots who believe that the TOCW nuisance check is a replacement for the functional check pre-flight.Thats got to be cleared up.

Checklists..covered in detail and the consensus is that a killer item review last thing is the answer.Just like FA's mentallly reviewing evac duties as the plane takes the runway.We hope theyre doing that just as we hope the pilots are checking the config items.Thats the theory.Line up is a busy time though and often you get cleared immediate takeoff.Ive seen airlines with SOP's that call for the FO to read out the compass headings and call out threshold elevation..thats with the ac lined up and brakes set.Practical in the real world?plus there are automatic tasks to be performed as you line up..about four for each pilot.What is the answer?I dont know to be honest but suggest this:a re-focusing on the fundamentals of airmanship(is your plane safe for flight) and less concentration on SOP rote duties(have you forgotten to put wx radar on or the strobes?)Some of the young co-pilots are so brainwashed into execution of the SOP's that theres no spare brain capacity to look at the big picture,the fundamentals.Distract the skipper and youve got a time-bomb waiting to go off..I see it all the time..pilots rushing to perform the FL100 duties at the expense of an ATC call.Which is more important I ask you?
Give me a co-pilot who as we line-up says"hey,we forgot the checklist" than one who busies himself with the lights,cabin call,transponder at the expense of all elseSlow down and take care of the fundamentals.