PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VNAV stepped climb/enhanced Mode S question
Old 20th Sep 2008, 10:13
Doodlebug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VNAV stepped climb/enhanced Mode S question

Hello All,

Having programmed and checked the SID waypoints, speed restrictions and altitude restrictions, i.e. stepped climb, we can either:

1/ set the final level, e.g. 10 000' in the altitude preselector, set sail in LNAV/VNAV, carefully supervise the beast doing its thing and jump in if need be by, say, hitting ALT should we observe an altitude bust in the making thereby initiating a level-off.

2/ set the first level-off altitude, e.g. 4000' in the altitude preselector, blast off in LNAV/VNAV, monitor and adjust the altitude preselector to the next step-climb altitude when the VTA chime sounds, i.e. just prior to the thing actually remaining level at 4000' instead of continuing on up as per the SID.

I know that both techniques work just fine. (actually seen both taught in the sim) I actually prefer #1 because the great thing about LNAV/VNAV/autothrottles is that it frees up the driver to concentrate on monitoring more efficiently, and provided that FMS inputs are checked thoroughly prior to departure the aircraft (BD-700) will perform as advertised.

HOWEVER, just had a seasoned instructor tell me that setting the FINAL altitude in the preselector when performing a stepped climb will result in ATC getting worried as a result of enhanced Mode S, in other words ATC will see that we've set 10 000' and not the initial 4000' restriction and may suspect that we're intent on bombing straight up to 10 000'?

Any informed opinion out there much appreciated!

Regards