PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 30 More UK Helicopters to Afghanistan???
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2008, 09:04
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
TM,
Those Italian CH47s are (I believe) spares recovered airframes used to support the active Italian CH47C fleet. I think they'd need a lot of work just to get airworthy, let alone suitable for Afg Ops. Compared to our Chinooks they have different engines (no FADEC), radios, DAS, avionics etc etc...

I believe what Swiss Des was alluding to was other NATO countries who have credible SH lift capability for Afg (ie, anyone who has CH47s, CH53s, Mi-17s or UH60s) and have not yet committed enough (or, indeed, any) cabs to theatre need to front up.

No way can UK PLC find another 30 cabs and 45 crews - even if the money was available now it would take years to generate the capability due to the training pipeline and delivery slots for aircraft. Mind you, we could re-role a load of Harrier pilots and buy second hand airframes for them to fly...

Ironically, if that Wa***r Hoon hadn't removed £1.5Bn out of SABR 5 years ago we'd be just about to get a load of new Chinooks and Merlins. You reap what you sow......