PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAA ATC Positions
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2008, 00:24
west atc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A question for all you people giving up jobs in Oz etc .

Why on earth would you want to come to Ireland?

I'll keep my answers sensible.

It has rained non stop for the last 3 months (Irish summer )
We get practically no rain in Melbourne any more which can be as bad as having rain all the time. Apart from that I have been keeping an eye on the Dublin weather and it is not quite true to say that it has rained non-stop for the last 3 months.

the cost of living is possibly the highest in Europe
The cost of living is getting higher and higher in Australia and according to the latest cost of living figures, Sydney is more expensive to live in than Dublin is and Melbourne is closing fast. London is still far more expensive to live in than Dublin so it is also not true to say that the cost of living is possibly the highest in Europe.

the health service is third world
The health service in Australia is not perfect either, the waiting lists for public hospitals are ridiculously long and Private Health Insurance premiums are rising at about 8-10% a year.

the economy is in freefall
This isn't unique to Ireland and in some way is a bonus because it means that rents are coming down and house prices are falling.

the rosters we work are murder
I can't see how working 5on 3 off is murder, we work a variety of shifts from 3 on 1 off to 4 on 1 or 2 off and 5 on 2 off. We also can finish at 11.30pm on the last shift, have 2 days off then start with an 0730 on the first day of the new cycle which can make your days off go very quickly.

you will never get a word of appreciation from our management
????? Where does this happen? If you are looking for praise from management than you are in the wrong job.

In fact the only face to face you will get is when you are in trouble
I prefer to avoid any face to face contact with management, it is better to come in, talk to the aircraft than go home.

You will never get a days casual leave
This is the same in Australia and in fact if the current mob get their way we also won't have any proper days off. They are looking to introduce a system where you will practically be on call during your days off because if you turn down an overtime shift you will have to explain to your immediate manager why you said no.

If you dont believe me read the threads for the last 12 months on pprune.
Have a look at the "ASA Solves Staff Shortage" Thread in "D&G Reporting Points" and you will see that it is no better and possibly a lot worse in Australia. We are up to August 51st on the "Gregorian" Calendar because our staff shortages will be fixed by the end of August!

Apart from all this the lads are good to work with and you will be treated with fairness and respect on the operations floor.
This is all you want when you work in ATC, it is the same in Australia that the people who work on the floor with you are good value and make it all worthwhile.

Any comments please.......
Speaking personally I was born in Ireland and moved out to Australia with my family when I was 7 years old. I am looking forward to coming "home" to Ireland and to experiencing a different kind of life. I have had the same comments from some of my family as to why would I want to go to Ireland and my answer is always the same.

"Because I want to experience a different life to the one that I have lived for the last 30 years and Europe is so accessible, the amount of places we will be able to see is endless."

Jackl, with all due respect you seem to have lived all your life in Ireland and it is understandable that you are tired of the IAA and the Irish weather.

Don't discourage people who have the courage to try something different and experience a different kind of life. It takes a lot of strength to relocate countries and the last thing people need to hear is generalized negativity from people like yourself.

I can guarantee you that anyone who has made the decision to move to Ireland has not done it lightly and will have done a good bit of research prior to making the decision.

My final reason for moving?

Guinness!

Maybe we can have one together if you work in Dublin

Oh and trying to finish this post, other reasons for moving.....

Liverpool FC
Dublin GAA
Republic of Ireland Internationals
St Andrews, Ballybunion, K Club, Portmarnock etc. (I play off a 6 handicap)
Shopping in Paris for the other half (not sure if this is good or not )
Europe!!!

Hope this helps you understand.