PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Clues deepen AA587 Crash Mystery
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2001, 14:51
SaturnV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moggie, I have neither heard nor read where the FAA or the NTSB has called for a grounding of A300's because of the vertical stab coming off. Yet in your earlier post, you stated:
"Why is it that any accident involving a european built airliner results in calls of "ground them" when Boeings, apparently, should just fly on? .... So lets get it straight guys - if the FAA are happy to let Boeing operators risk pax lives while they have a long slow think about rudder hardover and fuel pumps, why the call to ground the Airbus? protectionism that's why. And I don't care if it's non-PC to say so, it's true."

Please enlighten us as to who in the United States Government has called for grounding these aircraft. Otherwise, chimerical visions set out simply to generate more Boeing v. 'Bus controversy detracts from a sober discussion of a tragic event which may have profound consequences for aircraft design.

BTW, I believe the Lockheed Electra L-188 was either grounded, or severely restricted with respect to flight regime, around 1960. This was after the wing came off on two aircraft during cruise. Severe CAT was a contributing factor in one accident, and undampened prop whirl was the main factor in the second.

[ 16 November 2001: Message edited by: SaturnV ]