PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single large gall stone acceptable for Class 1?
Old 19th Sep 2008, 17:50
dicksorchard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gallstones & frequent flying

Hi - I am not a pilot but i have to fly 50 + times a year .

Don't know if this might help you but i was diagnosed with having gallstones in 2002 after numerous bouts of gastro / chest pain .

I was due to have an operation to remove my gallbladder in august 2002 but because the Gallbladder was infected i was put on a course of Antibiotics and my operation was re-booked for late September .

I informed the registrar that i had a number of european flights booked and was travelling to New York mid September and i was concerned as this was a longer flight than normal if it could have any effect on my ability to fly . I was told No .

This was in fact incorrect advice and i was actually very ill during my 5 day business trip to New York and when i landed in the Uk had to be taken to my local accident & emergency . I had an emergency operation to remove my gall bladder .

My consultant was not a happy chap and the registrar was reprimanded .

Apparently under the pressure within the confines of an aircraft your organs can actually swell / enlarge and a small stone from my Gallbladder had actually blocked the bile duct after the entrance/exit had widened .

I was very lucky because after 5 days & 2 long haul flights my gall bladder was very badly infected and in my consultants words was " fit to burst " it was that big it had to be drained before they could operate .Had it have burst i would have been in deep trouble .

I was also told that as this was a pre-diagnosed illness my insurance would have been nil and void especially had i taken ill in the US . A frightening prospect .

Now my wife has a sneaky suspicion that my consultant had in effect been negligent anyway and that the flying issue's where over exagerated but i thought that my experience may help you make a descision about what to do .

As a pilot you are flying every week and even a small stone can become an issue .

hope you get sorted