PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hobby Flying
Thread: Hobby Flying
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2008, 17:35
rauxaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys

I've just had a peep ay BKUR... very tidy, something like this would suit me down to the ground.

Taildragging shpouldn't be a major problem, I have a Silver C in gliding and have flown a Pawnee from time to time... so my feet do work, although I would go on a refresher with an instructor first.

Some of the aircraft are probably on the light side for my experience, I always enjoyed the heavier glass gliders and had many enjoyable flights in a Pup a few years ago, also I have heard stories about Kitfoxes... but as long as you are prepared then you know what to expect!

I have picked up on the points re the folding wings, these obviously should be seen as an "if necessary" item rather than every flight.

I have called at local strips but obviously they are always very quiet, I am the type to muck in (used to spend time mowing the runways when I regularly went gliding). My local strips would include Temple Bruer, Sibson and Shacklewell Farm... if anyone out there could offer an intro....?

My nearest STRUT looks like Loughborough, quite a drive but hopefully worth it once a month.

I suppose 12k is on the tight side but I'll give it a go, it would be nice to have a partner in the exercise but the circumstances of being new to the area don't permit this.

Looks like I'm going to have quite a bit of enjoyable winter planning

Thanks again