PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alitalia (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2008, 16:02
AN Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a sad sad sitation for all.

I dont work for Alitalia, and I'm not currently involved in events taking place in Italy, but I've been where you guys are all about to go when my airline tanked, and know first hand what it's like. At this stage I dont think it's particularly important to dwell on how you all landed in this situation - be it management greed, union greed, inflexible work practices or corrupt politicians, (I personally believe it's all four). When you're losing three million a day, it's now utterly irrelevant. What's important is what you all do now, while you have time to make choices. This is not a game, or a last-minute management trick. The latest rescue deal offered to the company seemed fairly generous in my mind - a loss of 3,000 or so staff out of (how many? - 19,000) and lower wages. What an offer. I've noticed some crew mention here that they see no point in working longer hours for less money, when "market price" is above what's on offer. True, the offer might see you on less than some of your colleagues working at other carriers, but then again - their carriers aren't two billion in the red.

I ask - would you rather agree to work with the company on finding a way out of this mess, or out of pride - play the blame game, until it's too late?

Take my advice friends. Help yourselves while you still have time, because I believe you're just about out of it. My thoughts are with all nineteen thousand of you.