PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how much shall i budget if i don get a job?
Old 19th Sep 2008, 11:10
mech500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much shall i budget if i don get a job?

Hi all,
I'm currently studying for the final stage of my ATPL exams. Given the present airline job market situation, i am considering delaying doing the last exam and also delaying the start of my ME CPL and IR.
I'm trying to work out how much it would cost me to renew these licenses if i dont get a job. I am assuming the they have to be renewed every year? I did a search on this topic but the threads were mainly relevant to people who have already obtained their licenses and therefore confused me further.

I know that the cost of renewal will depend on where you do the training etc but i was after info along the lines of ''you will need to fly a minimum of 12hours in ME aircraft (at a cost of roughly £150p/hour in the UK), the test lasts 2hours, the examiner will charge, say £200 and the CAA will charge a further, say £200....this brings the total to around: £2500 each year to renew the ME CPL"

I could do with a similar cost breakdown for the IR - is there a minimum number of simulator hours you need to fly in IFR in order to keep the IR valid?

... just to make things clear: i have made up ALL the above figures to illustrate the sort of info i am after.

Basically im trying to work out how much to budget AFTER i have completed my training. This includes the cost of flying the minimum number of hours and test fees (both of which i dont know)

Any help would be appreciated.