PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alitalia (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2008, 08:55
Romeo India Xray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bored

I was just about to make the comment about the Flight Time Limitations. What we see here is a union denial of the existence of a real world. Of course the crews would have had adequate rest - its the law!!! If they dont like shifts being swapped they should try working in a bar - a few 12-14 hour consecutive days followed by a shift swap and never more than minimum rest should sort the wheat from the chaff. The offer still included a month of vacation (welcome to the real world guys) and a salary that I understand would still equal those in other airlines (except for a few notable WELL MANAGED examples).

Do I only blame the unions - no. All problems have to stem from inept management and corrupt politics. By example, I am AM of a small turboprop start-up and my salary is capped at 30 000 Euro until we are in profit. It sure as hell focuses the mind! Do I think an AZ CEO would every have taken up this challenge, of course not because they know it is not do-able, the unions will not give and no one will allow you to cut anything from anywhere. All employees need to learn that an airline is a BUSINESS, not a charity for the provision of opulent lifestyles, AZ or FR, no difference.

For those Alitalia crews who realise they have had it too good for too long, I am sorry for your plight. For those who have no grasp of reality, I trust you will enjoy your almost certain forthcoming unemployment, after all it is better than working and doing the job you love, right?

RIX

p.s. those 767/777/A320 pilots who will end up on the job market and still believe they are owed something and got a raw deal need not apply to my airline (although you may be lucky enough for someone to give you a turboprop job somewhere). Believe me, we do our damndest to recruit people who have at least a basic apreciation of the fact they are part of a BUSINESS.