PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class date at EK
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2008, 08:24
yoyonow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Klavoll,

Well said, as has already been stated, by asking the question you are 90% there with your approach and attitude to what will be a cultural change in your professional and social life. Some good advice above, everybody has their own opinion but here are a few thoughts to answer some of your questions:-
- The best way to prepare is to be in the best shape you can on arrival to be able to learn. In my opinion don’t waste your time now with pre-study you have more than enough to do with moving country/job/kids school etc. etc. The first weeks here are hectic with both domestic admin. and professional study. Be prepared for that and realize that you will be given good quality training but that you will have to find time for self study.

- Be prepared to be out of your comfort zone. We have all been there. Some people get very frustrated that they no longer feel on top of the job. Be aware that you were hired as a capable and experienced aviator, the diverse nature of the EK job will soon become familiar to you. If you put in the work you will soon be back in that comfort zone. As has been mentioned ad-nausium, particular areas that may need some thought are descent planning and aircraft energy awareness and radio work. Disciplined radio work will help you to be understood more readily on our global network. More importantly, like it or not, the use of North American slang is a hot topic at the moment and its use will ensure that you are perceived as arrogant and not wanting to learn or conform. Company standard is CAP 413 as available on Civil Aviation Authority Home Page

It’s challenging, fun, frustrating and it pays the bills…….. Come armed with an open and willing attitude and I hope you feel you have made the right choice a year from now. I did.

Good luck