PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Check outs
Thread: Check outs
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2008, 00:15
B2N2

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
it differently, just nod, smile, get your checkout signed and then carry on doing things like you did before

Got to this thread a little late I guess.......

A couple of points

1) When you rent an airplane it is not your airplane it belongs to the flying organization you are renting it from. It is therefore entirely reasonable IMO that they specify how they want it operated and (within reason) you should do so.

2) While there is undoubtably real wankers as flying instructors, the fact remains that however junior the guy checking you out is, he by definition will have higher professional flying qualifications and more flying time than you, David Houl, has and therefore "probably" knows more than you on any given subject relating to flying airplanes. You should listen to what he/she has to say.

2) The point of a checkout is to ensure you can safely operate the aircraft. The problem of course is there is no one definition of "safely operate an airplane". So in the spirit of point one I think in the interests of getting the checkout done, detailed discussions on how to conduct the flight on the part of the student is counterproductive.

3) I have been flying for a long time in many different areas of sport and commercial flying and in 58 different types of aircraft. I still find stuff I did not know and see and adopt ways to be a better pilot. DavidHoul's post seem to contain a measure of close mindedness to consider alternative ideas which I find quite troublesome in a new pilot.
Big Pistons, if you ever make it to my neck of the woods I'll gladly buy you a beer.....brilliant post