PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ground XL aircraft where are they all?
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2008, 18:12
Buster the Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr

I cannot remember the name of the road, but it links the road out of Alton up to Odiham and the road out of Alton to Basingstoke. I think it might be called The Avenue.

Anyway, if you are coming via the M3 Jct 5 follow the signs for North Warnborough then Alton. You pass Odiham and about 4 miles later there is a pub on your left called the Golden Pot. Turn right here into The Avenue, drive along for a couple of miles and you will pass the rotting aircraft museum, then you can turn into the gliding club about 1/2mile further on your left. Visitors are welcome inc restaurant and bar. There is a superb viewing area with ATC off to your right.

Come back out and turn left, follow this for 1/2 mile and just before the A339 turn left into a narrow lane with a sign ATC. Drive to the top, but don't stay too long especially if there are movements as you will be moved on. There is a No Parking bay here, you can get good shots, but you are facing South. Step ladder might help?

Drive back out of this lane, at the bottom turn left, then left again toward Alton. Drive around 1.5 miles and there is a sign on your left to the Golden Oak, this is a pub in the village of Lasham. If you drive past the pub keeping it on your right, this will take you toward an access gate.

My advice is to leave your car and walk up. From here you will see those airframes on the South side of the hangar complex.

Some of the XL and the A300 will not be good for photography and as I am a domesticated bear, I seldom head off into woods with a compass. Some might know of country paths which afford views of the Airbus and the 727 wrecks?

I am told that a 5th XL will arrive sometime tomorrow.

YouTube - A Busy Lasham