PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS Banding
Thread: NATS Banding
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2008, 17:35
Hootin an a roarin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This quote has been posted in the payrise debate but I feel it is relevant here.

"Must say that I agree completely with the above statement. It appears to me that those at the top of the food chain be it MP's or corporate heads still get cracking pay rises when those further down have to split whats left between them. Besides, why the hell are MP's so well off??? all they do is represent us (supposedly!), its not as if they do anything useful.."

Sounds like the payrise a Band 5 Atco receives compared to a Band1/2.
Unfortunately I believe that Banding does play a major part in the Pension debate.

Without nailing figures down a same % rise across the Bands could mean in monetary terms a huge rise at the top but a relatively poor one at the bottom. Maybe taking a Band 5 top of scale Atco into a six figure salary but oppositely a Band 1 Atco to just over 60 grand. The money divided around comes out of the same pot so again purely in monetary terms if the guys at the top get a large rise then there is little money left for the rest.

I must stress again that I do not believe we should all receive the same salaries but if this carries on in the next 10 years or so the guys at the top will be close to doubling the salaries of the bottom Band Atcos. Not really fair and also, as is true now, retiring on a pension that is worth more than a current Atco1/2's actual salary for continuing to risk their licence.

All we seek is a fairer playing field and a narrowing of this divisive Banding system.