PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 407 vs AS-350 B2/B3
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2008, 16:58
sherpa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only confirm your statement about performance. The last two fire season I was flying the AS350B3 and was working side by side with the B 407, Lama, SA316, AS350B2 and 350FX at different altitudes and temperatures.

B3 vs. Lama/SA316
If it’s not to terrible hot and besides flying a circle around the Lama, the B3 will do a bit better up to about 9000 ft. SA316 is no match against the B3.

B3 vs. B2/FX:
The B2 dies at altitude and temperature. The FX does perform well but still not close to a B3 and for the Fuel consumption and speed I had an interesting comparison between the FX and B3.
Long story short, we both topped off fuel and flying from Fort St. John, BC to Fort Nelson, BC. The weather wasn’t all that great and he had more local knowledge of the area so I followed the FX all the way to Fort Nelson. We were cruising about 110kt IAS and the FX pulling MCP 94% TQ vs. B3 only 70 to 75 % TQ. Pulling MCP in the B3 gives you an IAS of 125 – 130Kt. In Fort Nelson we both topped off again and surprisingly the FX burned 16 liters more (and a black tail boom). I know cruising at 70 % reduces the fuel consumption, but at MCP I would have been a bit faster too.

407 Vs. B3
The 407 is very fast at MSL and looks like handles very well and great to longline, but as soon as you get some elevation and temperature she is fading away. Put a different motor in a 407 or give that engine more air and besides being a four bladed Jet Ranger she probably would do ok.

:-D