PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 18th Sep 2008, 15:54
Dick Deadeye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of my colleagues have been in BA for anything up to 16 years, and have still not achieved a coveted longhaul command (of which I am one!)
And I sympathise with their frustrations, however, several of them will be flying with senior Captains who took well over 20 years to get their first command in BA (as I did) when on joining, we were told 10 years to command. Didn't happen, because the world changed. Life's like that!

There are now two kinds of pilot in BA. Those who are fortunate enough to be able to extend their 'golden years' in the top job, by anything up to (and perhaps more than) ten years, and those who cannot.
Just who are these pilots who cannot extend their golden years?

This option was not available to those who went before, nor will it be available to those who follow.
As one of those who went before, it's true I didn't have the option of staying on. If the law had changed a bit earlier, I would have stayed on like a shot.

But why will this option will not be available to those who follow?

In both cases, did the legislation not outlaw the mandatory retirement age for everyone, not just those currently at the top?

Good Luck to all those hoping to join!