PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces face mass walk out over poor funding, report warns
Old 18th Sep 2008, 15:24
Capt Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are plenty of civilians who are either ex-mil or only 1 step removed, i.e. have a family member or close friend that is in. Of course the public are concerned about the state of the forces and the conditions for those in.
I disagree. National Servicemen are all in their 60s or above now. The small size of all three services, and the massive closure of bases/barracks means that for many the only connection they have with the military is through their television.
OK, obviously you're entitled to that viewpoint.

Even today, the total strength of the armed forces is quite substantial. I just have a few minutes so I'm not going to dig out exact figures, a quick web search suggests about 460,000. I include reservists, (as well as VRs. I kn ow a lot of folks here look down on them, but its still a connection). A few family members and a couple of civvy mates each still gives a a pool of folks who know a serviceman/woman closely at several million.

Go back to the early 80's and you find its closer to 600,000. Most of whom are probably still alive, and a good chunk of whom will now be ex service.

Then you've got all the civilianised jobs, plus the MOD and defence related industries.

One way or another, there are still a lot of people with direct or indirect forces connection. Hence I can not support the view point expressed earlier that the public are 'not one bit concerned'.

To be frank, that viewpoint sounds more than a little self pitying.

Unfortunately, I feel the houses of parliament contain a disproportionate number of those that actually don't care (including my own current MP and the previous one who both have the analytical abilities of a brain damaged gerbil).

Many did not agree with the invasion of Iraq, and see massive mission creep in Afghanistan (John Read "no bullets will be fired"??). Their own communities are fractured (knife/gun crime, rise of BNP etc), the money thrown at the NHS and schools is having little impact, and the MoD wants more money - they don't get it. Pull back from these foreign wars and stop trying to be a world power, they argue.
I know it is de-rigeur to take the view that civvies are gash/lazy/clueless etc but actually most of us are capable of differentiating between 'supporting a war' and 'supporting our armed forces'.

Best wishes from a supportive and grateful civilian.

pb