PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MD80 plane crash in Phuket, Sep. 07
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2008, 03:57
tbavprof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZFT

As someone who is certified by the Thai DCA
I think the point of the thread is that that is a questionable credential.

and JAA I object to being called incompetent.
But there's no question of competency there, and you have every right to object to being labeled incompetent.

There are many competent and safety-minded professionals in Thailand, in the pilot community, AOC's, maintenance, AeroThai, and even in DCA itself. I know a few myself.

What's being discussed here is whether the DCA's practices are sufficient to reassure the masses of non-professionals that depend on it's actions, that DCA is sufficiently exercising its oversight authority to ensure passenger safety, free of political influence and corruption.

Clearly, based on repeated deficiency in some of the carriers they regulate, and the ensuant loss of lives, they have come up short in that regard. Worse, as an organization, they continue to deny or simply bury existing problems, and show no inclination to improve.

InvestigateUdom believes, and quite reasonably, that the most effective way of changing these problems for the better revolves around lobbying her own government for withholding or withdrawing the coveted "1" status of an IASA audit.

Unfortunately for you, and the other competent professionals in Thai aviation, that method does paint the entire industry with a broad brush. There's no escaping that when the regulating authority is considered the source of or complicit in safety deficiencies.

Yes, there are competent operators here who have passed their IOSA audits. As did Garuda in Indonesia, which is still barred from Europe, based on Indonesian DCA's deficiency. Their measure for appeal, like your own complaint about the unfairness of the generalizations, is that they have proven competencies to authorities much more reliable than the DCA.

Is that not, in fact, an admission that withholding or withdrawing the certification granted to all of the nation's aviation industry on the basis of DCA compliance, is justified? That the DCA does not do its job competently, and that you should be judged, individually, by a higher authority?