PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A400M engine - hey, it works!
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2008, 22:36
Porrohman

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RS30 asked;
I see a Belfast is still operational. I wonder whether it could be the alternate engine test bed airframe?
As well as the operational Belslow in Oz there's another parked at Southend (G-BEPS) which until recently was being considered for return to service by Heavylift Oz. Photos: Short SC-5 Belfast C1 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net I understand that it had been re-wired and had four serviceable engines and three serviceable props fitted. Work then stopped whilst they tried to find another prop. At that time I wondered if it was maybe being considered as a TP400 testbed. Eventually, a fourth prop was located, the aircraft was washed and a team arrived from Oz to bring it back to airworthiness but after several more weeks work the effort was abandoned earlier this year, possibly due to certification issues? I believe it has now been stripped of useful parts and is likely to be scrapped very soon (if it hasn't already been scrapped).

I wonder whether the Belslow would have been a practical testbed for the TP400? It would certainly give the engine a lot more weight and drag to work with. The extra power wouldn't have done the Belslow any harm (assuming it didn't pull the wings off) - might even have turned it into a Belfast, especially if they eventually fitted four of the TP400s