PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Read any good books?
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 1999, 10:14
Ignition Override

Lightbulb

Y'all made some excellent suggestions. I second the motion for Ernest Gann's 'Fate Is the Hunter' & 'Flying Circus'; 'Forever Flying' by Bob Hoover; 'Reflections of a Pilot', by Len Morgan (WW2 transports thru Braniff Airlines "The point, that a pilot can get into trouble while doing precisely what he was taught to do-should be made clear in school, yet I've never heard it mentioned". "Unthinking adherence to the book in every situation is unrealistic, indeed, foolhardy. A review of accidents in recent years proves...".); "Tex Johnston, Jet-Age Test Pilot', by Johnston and Barton; 'Air America' by Christopher Robbins; 'Chickenhawk', by Robert Mason (time after time they landed in their zones at almost zero airspeed, while the VC were actually waiting for them, firing AK-47s at the Hueys from fairly close range: no 200-400 knot+ passes with Zuni rockets or guns). After looking at 'Thud Ridge', I was too angry with our former government (again) to want to read any more of it, due to the corrosive thinking of many of our (then) senior political and Pentagon military career officers. The focus on 'ticket-punching' for numerous Pentagon promotions was, to many, much more important than their clear duty and responsibility to take care of their 'working' troops and pilots, only prolonging the military/civilian nightmare.