PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Read any good books?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 1999, 18:32
Canuck_AV8R

Unhappy

Shot One:

I just picked a new copy of Fate is the Hunter at a Chapters book store here in Canada. It is available through their website at www.chapters.ca for $15.20CDN (approx 7 UK pounds), pretty cheap. Do a search by author for Ernest K Gann from the front page and you should find it.

I just read this in Airways magazine and I quote:

"Logbooks are a pilots diary, as Rick drury recounts in his ever-popular Flightlines column, and their loss is tragic. "Ernest K Gann, author hero and friend," writes in his cover note to this months tale, "had logbooks to dazzle the masters. And after his last flight, his writing studio, an old chicken coop, was essentially transported to Oshkosh where it was recreated inside the EAA museum. His memorabelia was preserved and everyone was relieved that it was safe and could be enjoyed and appreciated by others. On January 20 this year, around 0300, the old empty coop on Ernie's farm was destroyed by fire. While this loss was great, there was comport in knowing the treasures were safe.

"Until his wife, Dodie told me: 'I had gone to the attic in the house and taken down some boxes. I had missed a few things. So I put them in the empty studio. There were his books, first editions - some translated into other languages. Pictures and paintings. Even unpublished manuscripts and screenplays. But the worst was the fact that in one box there were Ernie's logbooks.'" Fortunately the American Airlines C R Smith Museum holds two of Ernie's logbooks (1939-41 and 1941-48) in it's archives.

By John Wegg (Editor-in-Chief)

What a terrible and tragic loss to aviation history. I am not even famous but would be devastated if my logbooks were destroyed.

Cheers

------------------
Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down.

Canuck Av8r
ICQ 26305263

[This message has been edited by Canuck_AV8R (edited 30 July 1999).]