PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates - Wannabes & Recruitment V
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2008, 15:11
oceanspray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie to Forum - Seeking HELP - Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello everyone,

I just joined the forum because I am interested in becoming a FA for Emirates. I have some questions as a newbie and hope someone can help? (I have been reading the posts...)
  • I'm 158cm and I understand that there is an arm reach test (212cm). I have heard that you can fail even if you are like 162 if you have short arms or something and pass even if you're like 157. Some say that doing stretches for months helps.

My question: Is EK 'strict' about this? If I were like 2cm short, would the chances of being dropped be high? I understand that it's necessary for security reasons, but I wonder how much flexibility there is.
  • I am Korean and am based in Korea. There have been several calls this year (but I unfortunately just became interested in becoming a FA). There is also an agency named ANC that seems to be in charge of the initial stages of the interviewing here (like ANC does interviews 1-2 and people from EK do interviews 3-4). I think this may be unique to Korea, I'm not sure. I personally am not interested in going through this agency because they also seem to offer classes (like English, grooming, etc.) that cost like $1500 for a 5-week course. I don't believe in this... and would like to just apply directly. I have started working on my CV on the EK website.

My question: Does anyone know anything about this (perhaps even in any other country)? Since I speak English well, should I just apply directly? I have tried to find an e-mail where I can contact someone at EK to ask them about this agency in Korea, but can't seem to find an address. Can anyone help?
  • I am currently overweight, but would be motivated to lose weight for this job. (I need to even if I don't get the job anyway.) I read somewhere that the BMI needs to be between 17-30.

My question: Would they really hire someone with a BMI of 30, which would be considered 'fat,' right? How much is 'weight' an issue?
  • I am currently in the situation where I feel that I need to go through a career change. I work as a freelance translator (English-Korean, vice versa) and run my own online store selling Korean crafts. But I'm 31 and it's not an easy decision for me. I understand that it's essentially my decision and I need to go for it if I really want it.

My question: Considering I'm short and 31, would it be realistic for me? (ANY opinion would be appreciated.)

Here are what I think my pros and cons are.

Pros - born abroad, lived abroad for 15 years, bilingual, interest for other cultures/people, open-minded (I think), customer service experience, people say I have a nice, warm image.

Cons - overweight (as of now), only 158cm tall, 31 years old.
  • I read that once you fail the initial screening process, you cannot apply again for 6 months and if you fail the interview, it's another year before you can apply.

My question: Has anyone had this experience? Seems quite a long time to wait. Also, if I do not hear from them within 5 weeks of posting my CV online, does it mean I have to wait another 6 months?
  • Where can I find info. on open calls? I can't seem to find it on the Emirates Careers website.
Well, thank you SOOO MUCH for reading this far. I am going through a very difficult period in my life and am really trying to change my life around. I am collecting as much info. as I can get re: this career so any help would be appreciated.

Jean