PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC or RAF crewman??
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2008, 09:56
Wader2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cbzz101
as I only get two shots at the aptitude tests at cranwell? Due to my age I know I didn't do the aptitude tests that were specifically for pilots but I don't know if some of the tests I did were generic for all roles.
The test is generic. I believe they now permit one test per year rather than just 2 tests.

However I am told that pilot aptitude increases from age 18 to 24 and thereafter declines; that is why the RAF places a limit of 24 on entry into training.

At 28 you are considerably older than many recruits, even perhaps a year or 2 older than many who leave the army having done 9 years. You need to look at the career length options. Do you anticipate being in the Army at age 50-51 and eligible for a full pension? Do you anticpate jumping ship and joining civil aviation (don't answer that)?

As an aside, the average age of the seamen on Ark Royal is 23.

I know of some AAC aircrewmen who try to transfer to the RAF when their army engagement ends, often at age 38. They are often judged too old and as there is no direct read across from AAC Aircrewman to WSOp they are not accepted.

As Tiger_Mate said, give it a go but don't think the two are interchangable.